Wednesday 25 March 2009

Off the shelf: Me 8


The story: After the attention that followed the publication of Pavlov’s experiments has burned itself out in a tabloid frenzy, a veteran of Pavlov’s experiments is reduced to begging in the streets. A man walking past throws down coins, which he can’t eat. His begging bowl may be made of metal, in which case the ringing sound that results when the coins land in it can only increase his hunger. Ecce Cano.
Another story: At my degree show a few people actually bought copies of this book. Several other people stole them (a good sign, I was told), and I gave some to friends and family. I’ve got two good copies left, and a pile of bad copies, one of which was dismantled for scanning. No dogs were hurt in the making of this blog.
Sob story: After college I had a brief career as an illustrator before a family crisis, lasting the best part of ten years, engulfed me. I escaped for a while to become a childminder for some good friends who took me in and entrusted me with their son. During that time I gave up drawing altogether and became a comedian, with an audience of one.
Here endeth the lesson.

2 comments:

Julie Oakley said...

I love that description "a comedian, with an audience of one". Well the ten year break didn't seem to make any difference to your prodigious talents.

nonstickplans said...

Aw, shucks.
Thanks for the comment, Julie.